29 May 2014

coconut flour butter cookies

I've had this recipe on my list of things to try for quite awhile. Now that I'm settled here next to the ocean with my grandparents for the next month, I have time to experiment and try out a few more adventurous creations. Both my grandmother and I are on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and we've been so excited for these coming weeks when we can play around with ingredients, tastes, and methods.


The dough turned out quite lovely to work with and easy to cut into shapes, even when I reshaped the dough after a first round of cut-outs.

The cookies themselves were a little dry if you took too big of a bite, but that is somewhat the nature of coconut flour. I'm thinking about trying the same recipe with less flour next time and I'd also like to try an almond flour version.


COCONUT FLOUR BUTTER COOKIES
recipe modified from Small Wonders Blog


Preheat oven to 350 F

3/4 c coconut flour
Lemon zest from one lemon
1 t baking soda

Combine in a small bowl.
Set aside.

1 stick butter, softened
1/4 c honey

Blend together with a beater or mix hard by hand.

1 egg

Add and continue beating until smooth.
Slowly add flour mixture until dough is soft and pliable.

Roll out on parchment paper with quick, back and forth movements of a rolling pin.
Cut out desired shapes with a knife or cookie cutters.
Move the shapes onto a parchment lined pan using a spatula.

TIP: make your shapes smaller than your spatula.

Bake 6-8 minutes or until edges are nicely browned.
If you are using two pans, switch them halfway through baking.
Transfer carefully onto a wire rack to cool.

No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...