09 June 2012

Balance

"Today I was happily reading along in A Forgotten God by Francis Chan when I came across this sentence: “When we are referring to God, balance is a huge mistake.” At first I thought I had read it wrongly – of course God is about balance, everything is about balance. Life would be great if I could just figure out how to balance things in my life. In fact, governments could be improved by a bit of balance. Balance could save the world! However, when I read the sentence again, it still, strangely enough, said the same thing. Apparently balance isn’t the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

I continued to read and I realized that I often go about my relationship with God in the wrong way. In my head, it is like every other relationship I have. It is bigger and more confusing, but it is also like a friendship in many ways. Turns out, God is so much more than a friend – he is my boss, my father, my friend, my teacher, my comforter, my judge. He is everything that I would ever want or need. Therefore, God can never be about balance because he is inherently greater than anything you can weigh him against. My relationship with God belongs at the top of priority list without me attempting it to balance it with other activities. God is my life, not merely a well-integrated part of it. Someday he may even show me what that means."

No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...