12 September 2013

apple sauce

Homemade apple sauce with the peeling, cooking, mashing, and eating is deep in my nostalgic psyche. Both my grandmother and my mother make apple butter in their crock pots, which is essentially the same thing just with longer cooking, added sugar, and finer blending. Apple sauce evokes sitting around the table or against the counter, eating fresh apple peel, and listening to good conversation fill the kitchen along with the smells of baking.


A huge bag of apples sat on my pantry shelf. Apple pies and fruit crisp danced in my head, but I knew I needed breakfast and lunch food more than dessert fare. Apple sauce fit the bill perfectly. I also used the peel and baked it into chips. More on that later.


CROCK POT APPLE SAUCE
original recipe


10 medium apples

Peel, core, slice.
Place in the crock pot.

1/4 t salt
2/3 c water

Add to the apples.
Cook on low for 6 hours.
Mash apples with a fork or potato masher.

1/8 c honey
1/4 T lemon juice
1 t cinnamon (and some)

Stir in.

No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...