04 June 2014

oh the characterization!

I am currently re-reading Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, following the great tradition of so many authors through the centuries who have been admirers of her work and read and re-read and re-re-read it.

Somewhat shamefully for an English major and lover of British literature, this is only my second time all the way through. I am quite certain it will not be my last however as there are so many layers I am discovering, peeling back, and exploring. For instance, I keep finding themes from her other novels woven through, most especially Persuasion (eg 12, 97). Or the extent to which William Collins discusses women in economic terms to the point where he displays them as commodities or financial assets (eg 74, 88); very much a popular theme in Austen's day, though that makes it no less insufferable.

What has struck me most however is Austen's writing itself, especially how she is able in so few lines to sketch a character so completely. As soon as a friend pointed out the pattern to me, I started finding them everywhere:


"Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how." Austen, Jane. "Pride and Prejudice." ed. Donald Gray. Third edition. New York: Norton, 2001. 6. Print.

"...quite exhausted by the attempt to be amused with her own book, which she had only chosen because it was the second volume of his, she gave a great yawn..." Austen, Jane. "Pride and Prejudice." ed. Donald Gray. Third edition. New York: Norton, 2001. 37. Print.

"He could tell her nothing new of the wonders of his presentation and knighthood; and his civilities were worn out like his information." Austen, Jane. "Pride and Prejudice." ed. Donald Gray. Third edition. New York: Norton, 2001. 101. Print.


As I read along I keep thinking "why do I even bother trying to write when such amazing work like this is already out there in the world?" and then I remember that she spent fifteen years on this novel before publishing it. I tell myself I can't compare my work to hers until I've done that.

That is at least a comfort for now

No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...