09 September 2013

mushroom steaks

This week's unfamiliar vegetable: Portobello mushrooms


This was ever so easy and far more flavorful than I'd imagined it would be. I literally licked my plate clean.

The recipe serves four, but I only wanted to feed myself. I didn't think the grilled mushrooms would last well as leftovers. It was a cinch to modify the recipe however, as most of it is in fours anyhow. One tomato, one garlic clove, pinches of basil from my plant, salt, pepper...it doesn't get easier.

Another modification I made was that, while the recipe calls for the sauce to be fresh and imply stirred together, I tossed it all together on the grill for about two minutes after finishing the mushroom. I prefer to dampen the acidity of the tomatoes and garlic a little bit. The basil blended in perfectly.


MUSHROOM STEAKS 
Recipe from "Eat Well Feel Well" by Kendall Conrad
Serves 4 

lb fresh plum tomatoes, chopped 
4 cloves garlic, minced 
1/4 c fresh basil, cut into thin ribbons 
1/2 c extra-virgin olive oil 
Salt and pepper to taste 

Stir together in a medium bowl. 
Let sit at room temperature while you grill the mushrooms, or cover and refrigerate overnight. 
Preheat the grill to medium. 

4 large Portobello mushrooms, stems removed and caps brushed clean 
3 T olive oil 
Salt and pepper to taste 

Rub the mushrooms with oil and seasoning. 
Grill 8-10 minutes. Turn over and grill another 15 minutes, or until golden brown. 
Top each mushroom, underside facing up, with tomato sauce. 
Serve. 

1 comment :

Hannah! said...

This recipe sounds absolutely incredible. I very much want to try it. :D

I love you to pieces and miss you ever so much. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...