16 September 2013

artichokes, a surprise lunch option

Another unfamiliar vegetable that I've fallen in love with: Artichokes.


I was first introduced to artichokes some time in high school when I was at a friend's house for dinner. I wasn't a huge fan...but now that I'm cooking it myself I can cook them to exactly the texture I want them and oh man are they good.

Dinner // still steaming with melted butter.

Lunch // chilled without butter.

Both were delicious. I was a little worried about having the second chilled, but I will definitely be doing it again.


STEAMED WHOLE ARTICHOKES 
recipe modified from Cook's Illustrated, 1994 
serves 4


Bring 1 inch of water to boil in a large pot. 

2 medium artichokes

Cutting off the stem and the top fourth. 
Trim remaining leaf spikes.
Place trimmings in the boiling water and then place artichokes, stem end up, over the top. 
Season, cover, and steam over medium-high heat until tender, about 40 minutes for large artichokes, 30 for small ones.
Serve immediately or at room temperature.
They also make really good packed lunches.

No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...