27 August 2013

eggplant parmesan

I've decided that to keep things interesting, I will pick one vegetable I am not familiar with per week week and see what I can make with it. This week: eggplant.


This dish was shockingly good. I know it is a classic way to serve eggplant, but I'd never had it before, much less made it completely from scratch, tomato sauce and all. I served it with fresh spinach drizzled with strawberry vinaigrette. I managed to barter for the berries with some lovely dried apricots I've got. Quite a success.

The unexpected bonus was the grain-like texture that I have so been craving. The process of sauteing the eggplant medallions caused the seeds to toast and form a moist yet crisp inside to each disk. All in all it took me fifteen minutes of work time, though most of that was expended in checking the recipe thrice and learning a new kitchen. Definitely doable for a future busy day dinner.


EGGPLANT PARMESAN 
serves 4 

Preheat oven to 350 F. 

1 1/2 lbs eggplant 

Cut into 1/4 inch slices. Set aside. 

1 1/2 c blanched almond flour 
1 t sea salt 

Combine in a medium bowl. Set aside. 

2 large eggs 
2 T water 

Whisk together. 
Dip the eggplant in the eggs, then coat with the almond mixture. 

2 T grapeseed oil 
2 T olive oil 

Heat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. 
Saute the eggplant for 3-5 minutes per side until golden brown. 
Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. 

3 c tomato sauce

Pour one third of the sauce into a 13x9 baking dish. 

2 c freshly grated Monterey jack cheese 

Layer the eggplant over the sauce. 
Cover with another third of the sauce and half of the cheese. 
Place the remaining eggplant over the top, then cover with the remaining sauce and cheese. 
Bake 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the edges are bubbling. 
Remove. 

1/4 c freshly grated Parmesan cheese 

Use to top eggplant. 
Serve. 


No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...