20 January 2013

shock and bubbles

Today a woman from North Ireland came up to me and introduced herself. I replied "Hi. My name is Katie." Almost before I'd gotten my name out, she said these words through a smile:

"Oh what a beautiful accent!"

I nearly laughed in her face I was so shocked. And then I realized. Here I've been talking to God about this anxiety that has built up inside me over these past weeks. It's culminated recently in the tendency to remain silent and not talk unless asked a question. The responses I've gotten from being an American here haven't been the best so far among Oxford students. But here God sent me someone who enjoys my voice. Suddenly I can hear the texture in it again and feel the subtitles in my throat, carefully forming the sounds.

No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...