12 July 2011

Lunch

It had been so hot, picking up trash. My black bag stuck to my forearms and my dusty hands met with the grit in my gloves. It smelt of old fireworks and watery beer, a noxious and overpowering smell of decay. My feet were swelling in my boots and my legs were complaining about being in my jeans.

Then Lacy walked over.

I met her briefly the team week before at kid's club. She isn't native. Her blond mid-length hair and light skin makes her stand out among the raven hair and dark skin of the other children.  I didn't spend time with her because I "wanted to focus my energy and love on those who needed it most." Arrogant. Her situation is just as bad as many of the others. She remembered me.



We all walked toward the river. It runs just past the park we were working on.  Scott and I both took our boots and socks off and sat on the rocks, our toes and water bottles in the frigid cool. A shady oasis after cutting through the heat waves coming up off the grass. Lacy told us about the water snake that lives under the rock I was perched on. The water felt so good that I didn't even care. However, I did try to steer the conversation away from the topic of things that freak me out.
A hug. Holding her to me, my arms wrapped about her as we stood and talked with Chris. Talking. Laughing. Feeling her against me. Providing safety even if it was only for such a short time.
 
I praise God every time I think of the children walking away from us, back into their lives; into the darkness that they survive in every day.  It would be too painful to watch them go but for His promise of being ever present. While we aren't able to follow them and protect them, He is with them wherever they are. He is with every one of them.
 

No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...