13 November 2013

reflection

I've been thinking a lot about my time in the United Kingdom and Europe. Every day I spent across the ocean contained significant cultural challenges as interactions with students, tutors, pastors, grocers, tourists, and even fellow Americans bent my perceptions of the world.  I constantly found myself trying to warp myself into shapes that would keep me out of the way, say the things that everyone wanted to hear, and look as in control as possible. In other words, I expanded the importance of understanding and respecting other cultures to the point where I was no longer visible. I was not in their way, but I was also unable to challenge their thinking. Whatever they could have gained through being challenged by my view of the world was lost because I didn’t allow my side of the dialogue to be heard. I was too afraid of being rejected.

That is something that I regret. 

No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...