06 January 2013

on drinking

The two other girls from my college and myself have been informed that we are not allowed to drink alcohol while we are here except while on official breaks. This is different than what we'd been told by all of our professors and former students who attended here and it is quite a disappointment.

No entering into the warm, malted air, sitting on the worn wooden benches, and feeling the cold handle of a hardy glass between my fingers. We can certainly go to pubs and drink non-alcoholic beverages so we can still experience much of the same thing, but the bitters. ciders, and pimms are so a part of the culture that it seems a shame to miss them.

I am lucky because I will be returning to Britain in May and will most likely get to go to a pub then with the term being officially over, but the ideal of studying in a traditional pub with my fingers and toes warm from a drink full of tradition won't be happening. There are several of us from various universities that are under the same strict no-drinking policy so at least we're not alone. And it is good to know that all temptation is removed, even if the cultural experience is removed as well. Ginger ale is quite tasty I suppose.

If you were looking forward to reviews of different pubs like I was, they may be a tad different than expected. BUT! God is so good because this is the only thing I could imagine complaining about so far. Everything has been beautiful, intellectual, and/or just peachy.

No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...