18 August 2012

Sushi Cake


I ran across this cake a little over a year ago and realized that I had to make it. With an older brother's birthday in August, the time was now. In my making it, I made mistakes in several places and therefore ran across a couple new pointers that will make this slightly simplified version a tad easier, especially if you're making it on a hot day.


All creative credit goes to Shrimp Salad Circus. For the original post that explains this cake and it's creation, go here.


For the jello roe, make more than three. One of mine split when I removed it from the mold but, as I put them on right before I unveiled the cake, I wasn't able to make another as a replacement.


If you get coconut on the fruit roll up seaweed, a damp cloth works wonders.


Place your fruit roll ups into the fridge for about half an hour before you try to unroll them. If you don't, they will probably just become a sticky, wrinkled mess. With the cold however, they peel right off their plastic and wrinkles already in them are easily stretched out.


As I found that out later in the game, some of my roll ups were already wrinkled messes and were too short to cover the entire side of the cake. To fix this, I simply put a ring of coconut around the bottom edge. It actually looked quite wonderful and gave it a nice finished edge.


Success!

1 comment :

Unknown said...

Ahhh this is fantastic! I never get to see when somebody makes one of my projects, so this just made my day! :D

You did a fantastic job, and your tips are really helpful.

- Lindsay

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...