23 July 2011

Stripped Down

Standing in the hallway by the bathrooms. Singing comes under the doorway and I can hear my lone voice over the muffled many bouncing around betwen the stone walls of the longhouse. Bathroom and mergency duty. A lonely but necessary job.

As the memorized words fall out of my mouth, the gospel reverberates between my ears. Hearing it explained in its radical simplicity to those who have never heard or barely understand completely changes its sound. All the bells and whistles fall off and raw truth stares you in the face.

And do we have to do anything to gain God's favor and salvation? Do we have to do a hundred jumping jacks, or run around Mount Adams fifty times, or kill a great monster? No! All we have to do is look to Jesus. And you can do that from wherever you are, no matter who you are, or what mess you're in.

Beautiful. Simple. Stark raving radical.

It's only out here that I begin to understand how radical Christianity is, this relationship that not only takes my life, but returns it to me ten-fold and dripping in blessing.

No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...